Chicago Auto Insurance For Less Than You're Paying Now
If you're new to shopping for auto insurance online, it's easy to get confused because of the huge number of auto insurance companies selling insurance in Chicago.
Finding affordable coverage in Chicago is quite easy. In a nutshell, everyone who has to buy auto insurance stands a good chance to be able to save money. Nevertheless, Illinois consumers do need to know how the larger insurance companies market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Auto Insurance Comparison Rates in Chicago, IL
The are a couple different ways of comparing rates from different Chicago insurance companies. The best method to find the cheapest insurance rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The recommended way to get quotes for comparison is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This form eliminates the need for separate forms for each company you want a rate for. Just one form gets you coverage quotes from several companies. It's definitely the quickest method.
- A slightly less efficient method to shop for auto insurance online consists of going to the website of each company and fill out their own quote form. For instance, we'll pretend you want to compare , and . To get each rate you have to go to every website to enter your coverage information, and that's why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Chicago, click here.
- The hardest method of comparing rate quotes is to spend your day driving to insurance agents' offices. Buying insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you have a need for the professional guidance that only a license agent can provide. Drivers can get the lowest quotes online but buy from a local insurance agent. We'll cover that shortly.
It doesn't matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare identical coverages for every quote you compare. If you are comparing different limits and deductibles on each one it will be very difficult to determine the best price in Chicago. Having just a slight variation in coverage limits may cause a big price difference. Keep in mind that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps you find lower pricing.
Policy discounts you shouldn't miss
Companies offering auto insurance don't always advertise every discount very clearly, so here is a list both the well known and the harder-to-find ways to save on auto insurance.
- Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with a few auto insurance companies.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Auto/Life Discount - Larger companies have a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Senior Citizens - Mature drivers can possibly qualify for better auto insurance rates.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If paying your policy premium upfront instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- Save with a New Car - Putting insurance coverage on a new car can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Memberships - Being a member of a qualifying organization could trigger savings when shopping for auto insurance.
It's important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
To see a list of insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Illinois, click this link.
Insurance agents can help
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a perfect coverage plan. Everyone's situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Illinois?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Additional Illinois consumer information
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the Illinois Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to download brochures, find out industry alerts, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
Additional helpful sites include this site for auto insurance rates in Illinois and this list of insurance agents in Chicago.