Tightwads Tips for Saving on Delphos Auto Insurance
Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy overpriced auto insurance? Trust us, you're not the only one.
Drivers have so many to pick from, and although it's nice to have a choice, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare rates.
It's important to compare prices at least once a year since insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the lowest price last year you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because we're going to demonstrate the only way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money.
How to Compare Delphos Auto Insurance Costs
There are several ways to compare auto insurance prices and some are less labor-intensive and much quicker. You could spend your day discussing policy coverages with insurance agencies in Delphos, or you could use the web to get prices fast.
All the larger companies belong to a marketplace that allows shoppers to submit one quote, and each participating company then gives them pricing determined by their information. This prevents consumers from doing quotation requests for each company you want a rate for. To submit your quote information now, click here (opens in new window).
One minor caviat to comparing rates this way is you are unable to specify which companies to receive prices from. So if you want to select specific providers to compare rates, we put together a list of companies who write auto insurance in Ohio. Click here for list of insurance companies in Ohio.
However you get your quotes, compare identical coverage limits and deductibles on every quote you get. If your comparisons have different liability limits then you won't be able to determine which rate is truly the best in Delphos. Slightly different coverages can result in a big premium difference. Just keep in mind that comparing a large number of companies helps you find the best rates.
How to Lower your Auto Insurance Rates
It's important that you understand the factors that go into determining auto insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate rates.
- Battle of the sexes - Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn't necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men have accidents in similar numbers, but the males cause more damage. They also get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI. Youthful male drivers are the most expensive to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? - There are many extra coverages that you can buy if you aren't careful. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and additional equipment coverage are some examples. These may sound like a good investment initially, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
- Do you know you're credit rating? - Credit score is a big factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. If your credit is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your by spending a little time repairing your credit. People with good credit tend to be more responsible than drivers who have poor credit.
- Where do you drive? - The more miles you rack up on your car in a year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Almost all companies price each vehicle's coverage based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars left parked in the garage receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your auto insurance policy shows how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Your job and insurance rates - Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as judges, social workers and financial analysts have higher average rates due to high stress levels and lengthy work days. Conversely, occupations like actors, engineers and homemakers get better rates.
- Liability coverage is cheap - Liability insurance provides coverage if ever a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Lower rates with optional equipment - Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system can thwart auto theft.
How much can you save with discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don't always advertise all their discounts very clearly, so we researched some of the best known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving.
- Senior Discount - Older drivers may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Defensive Driver - Completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% since new cars are generally safer.
- Claim Free - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Club Memberships - Affiliation with a qualifying organization may earn a discount on auto insurance.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky.
For a list of companies offering auto insurance discounts in Ohio, click here.
Even more information is located at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio drivers can learn about insurance regulations, discover disciplinary actions, find out industry alerts, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
Affordable insurance is out there
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don't reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at the best price.
Cheaper auto insurance can be found on the web as well as from independent agents in Delphos, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who don't offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.