Proven Ways to Save on Stratford Auto Insurance
Are you sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul each month for car insurance? You are in the same boat as the majority of other car owners in Connecticut.
Insurance companies such as State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive all promote huge savings with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to sift through the bull and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It's important to get comparison quotes once or twice a year since insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest rates last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So just forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because it's time to teach you the tricks you need to know to save on auto insurance.
Take advantage of discounts
Car insurance companies don't always list every available discount in a way that's easy to find, so we break down some of the best known and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Military Discounts - Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower rates.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Have your child take driver's ed class in school.
- Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
It's important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, you're out of luck.
To see a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in Stratford, click here.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Costs in Stratford
There are several ways to compare rate quotes and find the best price. The best method to compare insurance prices involves getting comparison quotes online. This can be done using a couple different methods.
- The best way consumers can analyze rates is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This type of form saves time by eliminating separate forms for every auto insurance company. Taking the time to complete one form will return quotes from several companies.
- A harder way to compare rate quotes is to take the time to go to the website for each individual company to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, let's say you want rates from , and . To get rate quotes you would need to spend time on each company's site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
To view a list of companies in Stratford, click here.
- The most time-consuming way to compare rates is to spend time driving to and from local insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the professional advice of a local agent. It is possible to obtain prices from the web and still use a local agent and we'll touch on that later.
However you get your quotes, double check that you are using exactly the same coverages and limits for every company. If you enter different deductibles it will be next to impossible to decipher which rate is best in Stratford. Slightly different limits could mean much higher rates. It's important to know that having more price comparisons will increase your chances of finding a lower rate.
Understand what determines the rate you pay
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that go into determining auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
- Bundling policies can get discounts - Most insurance companies give discounts to people who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to 10 percent or more. Even with this discount, you may still want to compare rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to find better rates by splitting coverages up.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure - Cars with high safety ratings get lower rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Clean credit earns discounts - Your credit score is a large factor in your rate calculation. So if your credit is lower than you'd like, you could pay less to insure your by improving your credit score. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit.
- An active claims history can cost you - Insurance companies in Connecticut generally give cheaper rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- No coverage gaps is important - Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse is a guaranteed way to pay more for auto insurance. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a license revocation or jail time.
- Your occupation can affect rates - Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like lawyers, social workers and dentists are shown to have the highest average rates attributed to high stress and lengthy work days. Other professions such as farmers, historians and homemakers pay the least.
- Liability insurance protects assets - Liability insurance will protect you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Companies like Allstate and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads on TV and radio. All the ads have a common claim that you can save if you switch your policy. How can each company say the same thing?
All companies can use profiling for the right customer that is profitable for them. For example, a preferred risk might be profiled as between 30 and 50, has no tickets, and has great credit. A propective insured that hits that "sweet spot" will qualify for the lowest rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Potential insureds who don't qualify for the requirements will be charged more money and this can result in business not being written. The ad wording is "people who switch" not "people who quote" save that kind of money. That's why insurance companies can advertise the savings. That is why drivers must get as many comparisons as possible. It's not possible to predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
As you prepare to switch companies, it's not a good idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of techniques to compare auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the best prices are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. These smaller insurers often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like .
Additional detailed information can be found at the Connecticut Insurance Department website. Connecticut drivers can read consumer alerts, find disaster information, find out industry alerts, and download brochures.