Easy Methods to Pay Less on Prescott Auto Insurance
Comparison shopping for Prescott auto insurance is nearly impossible for people who are new to buying insurance online. You have so many choices that it can quickly become a ton of work to find the best price in Prescott.
It's important to compare prices once or twice a year because prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest rates a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Starting right now, forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you're going to get a crash course in the tricks you need to know to find lower rates on auto insurance.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Costs in Prescott
Getting better auto insurance pricing isn't really that difficult. Consumers just need to take the time comparing rate quotes from different insurance companies. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The first (and easiest) way to compare a lot of rates at once is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This form eliminates the need for separate quotes for every auto insurance company. Taking the time to complete one form will return quotes instantly. It's definitely the quickest method.
A more difficult way to shop for auto insurance online is to take the time to go to each company website to complete their respective quote request forms. For sake of this example, let's assume you want rates from , and . To get rate quotes you would need to spend time on each company's site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Prescott, click here.
The hardest way to compare rates is driving to local insurance agencies. Shopping for auto insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you require the trained guidance of a local agent. Drivers can compare the best prices online but buy from a local insurance agent. We'll cover that shortly.
It's up to you how you get prices quotes, just double check that you are using identical coverages and limits on every quote you get. If you enter different deductibles it's impossible to determine which rate is truly the best in Prescott.
How to Lower your Auto Insurance Rates
It's important that you understand the rating factors that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
- Do you know you're credit rating? - Your credit score is a important factor in your rate calculation. If your credit history is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your by spending a little time repairing your credit. People with high credit scores tend to be more responsible than drivers who have poor credit.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure - Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars protect occupants better and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates - Your driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Even a single moving violation can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers who don't get tickets have lower premiums than bad drivers. Drivers who get serious violations like DUI or reckless driving may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Proper usage rating affects rates - The more miles you rack up on your car every year the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos left parked in the garage qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your auto insurance policy shows how each vehicle is driven.
- Liability coverage protects you - Liability insurance will protect you in the event that a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Low deductibles can be expensive - Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims could be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage caused by hail, or theft. Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The higher the amount you have to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Performance makes a difference - The make and model of the car you drive makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The lowest rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger models, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Policy discounts you shouldn't miss
Auto insurance companies don't list every available discount very clearly, so we break down both well-publicized as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If you're not getting every credit available, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Lower Rates for Military - Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
- Good Students Pay Less - Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Auto/Life Discount - Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Club Memberships - Participating in a qualifying organization could trigger savings on your policy.
- Homeowners Pay Less - Being a homeowner may earn you a small savings because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
For a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in Arizona, click this link.
Even more information can be found at the Arizona Department of Insurance website. Arizona consumers can find out industry alerts, find disaster information, and file complaints about a company.
In the end, you save
You just read some good ideas how to lower your auto insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may discover the best price on auto insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies.
Insureds switch companies for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices, high prices and delays in paying claims. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company is not as hard as you think.
When shopping online for auto insurance, make sure you don't reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.