Consumer Tested Strategies to Save on Parkersburg Car Insurance
I can't think of a single person who likes having to buy car insurance, especially when the cost is way too high. Because there are so many online and local companies to choose from, it's difficult to find the lowest price insurance company.
Choosing the best insurance company for you in Parkersburg is easy if you know what you're doing. If you have car insurance now, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using these techniques. West Virginia vehicle owners just need to know how to find the lowest price online.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Parkersburg
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that could result in lower car insurance prices.
The list below includes a few of the "ingredients" companies use to determine premiums.
- Lower deductibles cost more - Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, vandalism, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount you're willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Bundling policies can get discounts - The majority of car insurance companies will award you with lower prices to policyholders who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you may still want to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Optional equipment can affect rates - Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Your credit rating is important - A driver's credit rating is a large factor in determining your rates. Drivers with excellent credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit rating can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your by improving your rating.
Finding Car Insurance in Parkersburg, WV
There are multiple methods to shop for car insurance, but there is one way that is more efficient than others. You can spend your afternoon talking to agents in Parkersburg, or you can utilize the web to get the quickest rates.
Most of the larger companies take part in a program that enables customers to enter their coverage request one time, and at least one company returns a rated price based on that data. This system prevents you from having to do quote forms to each individual car insurance company.
To submit your quote information now, click here to open in new window.
One minor caviat to getting quotes like this is that you can't choose which providers you want pricing from. If you would rather choose specific providers for rate comparison, we have a page of low cost car insurance companies in West Virginia. View list of West Virginia insurance companies.
It doesn't matter which method you choose, just make absolute certain that you use apples-to-apples deductibles and coverage limits for each comparison quote. If you have different values for each quote it will be next to impossible to determine the lowest rate in Parkersburg.
Don't pay full price with these discounts
Companies don't always advertise all available discounts very well, so we took the time to find some of the more common and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance. If you don't get every credit you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Having multiple cars or trucks with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Military Rewards - Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Braking Control Discount - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Sign Early and Save - A few companies offer discounts for switching to them prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Student in College - Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Organization Discounts - Belonging to a professional or civic organization could trigger savings when buying car insurance.
- Accident Free - Good drivers with no accidents can save substantially when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Paperless Signup - Certain companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up online.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Keeping the miles down can earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
To choose insurers with the best car insurance discounts in West Virginia, click this link.
The car insurance bait and switch
Consumers can't ignore all the ads for cheaper car insurance by companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies make the same claim that you'll save big if you move to them.
But how can every company make the same claim?
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver that makes them money. For example, a profitable customer could be over the age of 40, owns a home, and has great credit. A customer who matches those parameters will get very good rates and therefore will save a lot of money.
Consumers who don't measure up to this ideal profile must pay higher prices which leads to business going elsewhere. The ads say "people who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save money. That is how companies can advertise the savings. This illustrates why you need to get a wide range of price quotes. Because you never know which company will give you the biggest savings.
Your personal situation dictates your coverage
When buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you could use an agent's help.
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in West Virginia?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Parkersburg?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
More detailed West Virginia car insurance information can be found at the West Virginia Insurance Commission website. Consumers can report car insurance fraud, read consumer alerts, view a list of available companies, and find out industry alerts.
A tidy conclusion
Budget-conscious car insurance is possible from both online companies and with local Parkersburg insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who do not offer online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, an insured cut physical damage coverage only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.