Easy Tips to Cut Costs on Minot Auto Insurance
If shopping for auto insurance online is new to you, you may be confused because of the huge number of auto insurance companies offering insurance in Minot.
It's important to shop coverage around periodically because prices are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the best price last year you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you're about to learn how to quote online to find great coverage at a great price.
Minot Auto Insurance Comparisons
Most major insurance companies provide coverage price quotes on the web. This process is fairly simple as you just type in your personal and coverage information into the quote form. Behind the scenes, the system will obtain credit information and your driving record and provides a quote.
This streamlines rate comparisons, but the work required to visit each company's website and repetitively complete many quote forms can be a bit repetitive. Unfortunately, it is important to compare as many rates as possible if you want to find a lower rate.
Quote rates the easy way
A less time-consuming method to compare rates uses one form that gets price quotes from several different companies. It's a real time-saver, eliminates form submissions, and makes online quotes much easier. Immediately after submitting the form, it gets priced with multiple companies and you can pick any or none of the returned quotes.
If the quotes result in lower rates, you can simply submit the application and purchase coverage. The whole process takes 15 minutes at the most and you'll know if lower rates are available.
To find out how much you're overpaying now, click here and enter your information. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you copy the limits and deductibles identical to your current policy. This way, you will have comparison quotes based on similar coverages.
Tips to Get Lower Minot Rates
It's important that you understand some of the elements that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
- Men are more aggressive - Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn't mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both cause accidents in similar percentages, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. They also get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Cautious drivers pay less - Drivers who don't get tickets receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Just one moving violation can bump up the cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who have dangerous citations like DUI or reckless driving may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Extra add-on coverages are wasting money - There are quite a few additional coverages that you can buy when buying auto insurance. Things like personal injury protection, towing coverage and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment at first, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Your spouse saves you money - Having a spouse helps lower the price when buying auto insurance. It translates into being more responsible and it's statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
More discounts equal less premium
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but a few need to be asked for prior to getting the savings. If you don't get every credit you qualify for, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Accident Forgiveness - Some insurance companies permit an accident without raising rates as long as you don't have any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Air Bag Discount - Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Safety Course Discount - Taking part in a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Good Student - Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Sign Online - A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy online.
- Save with a New Car - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new cars.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, auto insurance companies aren't that generous. Any amount of discount will help reduce your premiums.
For a list of companies with discount auto insurance rates in North Dakota, follow this link.
It's not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in North Dakota?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It's fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional information can be found on the North Dakota Insurance Department website through this link. Visitors are able to learn about insurance regulations, file complaints about a company, and discover disciplinary actions.
A tidy conclusion
Cheap auto insurance is attainable both online as well as from independent agents in Minot, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. A few companies don't offer online quoting and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
We covered a lot of tips how to lower your auto insurance rates. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
When trying to cut insurance costs, don't be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, someone dropped physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate.