9 Top Ways to Slash Car Insurance Costs in Michigan City
Expensive car insurance can dwindle your checking account and put the squeeze on your family's finances. Comparison shopping is a great way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket.
You have so many to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, lots of choices makes it harder to compare rates.
More discounts equal less premium
Companies offering auto insurance do not list every discount very clearly, so we researched both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving.
- No Claims - Drivers who don't have accidents pay much less when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Paperwork-free - Certain companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy over the internet.
- Multiple Cars - Having all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Distant Student - Youth drivers who are attending college and don't have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Save with a New Car - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% since new cars are generally safer.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Club Memberships - Being a member of a qualifying organization may earn a discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Military Discounts - Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Just because it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
For a list of insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Indiana, click here.
Which Car Insurance is Cheapest in Michigan City, Indiana?
Most major insurance companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO provide coverage price quotes online. Getting quotes doesn't take a lot of time as you simply type in the coverages you want into the quote form. Once entered, the system will obtain information on your driving record and credit history and quotes a price. Being able to quote online makes it a lot easier to compare rates but having to visit several different sites and fill out multiple forms is repetitive and time-consuming. Unfortunately, it is important to perform this step if you want to find a lower rate.
A more efficient way to find lower prices is to use a quote form to obtain quotes from a bunch of companies at once. It's a real time-saver, requires much less work on your part, and makes quoting online a lot less work. Once the form is submitted, it gets priced with multiple companies and you can pick any one of the quotes that you receive. If one or more price quotes are lower than your current rates, it's easy to complete the application and buy the policy. The whole process can be completed in a matter of minutes and you'll know if lower rates are available.
To find out how much you're overpaying now, click here and enter your vehicle and coverage information. If you have coverage now, it's recommended you enter your coverages identical to your current policy. This helps ensure you will receive comparison quotes based on identical coverages.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
Cheap car insurance can be sourced both online in addition to many Michigan City insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide online quoting and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced collision coverage and learned later that they should have had better coverage. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.