Tightwads Guide for Saving on Kennewick Car Insurance
I can't think of anyone who looks forward to paying for car insurance, especially when their premiums are through the roof.
Companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with TV and radio ads and consumers find it hard to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to lower your premiums substantially using these methods. Buying car insurance in Kennewick is easy if you know what you're doing. But Washington car owners do need to know how big insurance companies market insurance on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Kennewick
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that could result in better car insurance rates.
- Lower deductibles cost more - Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, damage from fire, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount you're willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- How many coverages with the same company - Some insurers will award you with lower prices to policyholders who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even though this discount sounds good, it's in your best interest to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure - Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- How's your driving record? - Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than their less careful counterparts. Even one ticket can increase rates twenty percent or more. Drivers with dangerous tickets like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to prevent a license revocation.
Finding Car Insurance Deals in Kennewick, WA
There are several ways to compare quotes from different Kennewick insurance companies. One of the best ways to find the lowest rates is simply to get online rate quotes. This is very easy and can be done in several different ways.
- The fastest way to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This easy form prevents you from having to do repetitive form submissions for each company. A single form will get you price quotes from multiple companies.
- Another way to compare rate quotes requires a visit to each individual company website to request a price quote. For example, we'll assume you want to compare , and . You would have to visit each site to input your insurance information, and that's why the first method is more popular.
To view a list of companies in Kennewick, click here.
- The least recommended method of getting rate comparisons is to spend time driving to different Kennewick agent offices. The internet eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the personal advice of a licensed agent. However, consumers can find lower rates online and still use a local agent and we'll talk about that later.
It's your choice how you get your quotes, but make absolute certain that you use exactly the same coverage limits for each price quote. If you have differing limits you will not be able to truly determine the lowest rate in Kennewick. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when quoting car insurance, remember that more quotes will increase your chances of finding better pricing.
Take advantage of discounts
Companies don't list all available discounts in a way that's easy to find, so we break down some of the more common and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using.
- Multiple Cars - Insuring all your vehicles with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Anti-theft System - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Low mileage vehicles can earn discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Military Rewards - Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Select companies give a discount for switching to them prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Organization Discounts - Belonging to a civic or occupational organization is a good way to get lower rates when buying car insurance.
- Seat Belts Save - Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- Good Student - This discount can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
To choose insurers with discount car insurance rates in Kennewick, click here to view.
Are car insurance companies telling the truth?
Allstate, GEICO and Progressive consistently run ads on TV and radio. All the companies make an identical promise that you'll save big if you change to them. How can each company make the same claim? This is how they do it.
Different companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver that makes them money. For example, a profitable customer could be between 30 and 50, owns a home, and has excellent credit. A customer who meets those qualifications will get very good rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Drivers who don't qualify for the requirements must pay higher premiums and ends up with business going elsewhere. The ads say "drivers who switch" not "people who quote" save money. That is how companies can make those claims. This illustrates why you need to compare many company's rates. Because you never know which company will have the lowest rates.
How to know if you need help
When buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Every insured's situation is different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions might point out whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
More detailed Washington car insurance information can be found at the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner website. Consumers can report car insurance fraud, read consumer alerts, find disaster information, and file complaints about a company.
Do the work, save more money
Budget-conscious car insurance is attainable from both online companies and with local Kennewick insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies do not offer online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
While you're price shopping online, it's not a good idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.