How to Find Cheaper Fairfax Auto Insurance
Shopping for the cheapest Fairfax auto insurance online can be rather challenging for people who are new to online price comaprisons. Because there are so many online companies available, how can consumers even start to compare them all to find the lowest price?
It's important to do rate comparisons quite often because insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the lowest rates on your last policy you will most likely find a better rate today. Starting right now, ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you're about to learn the tricks you need to know to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Policy discounts you shouldn't miss
Car insurance companies don't necessarily list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both well-publicized and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If they aren't giving you every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Save over 55 - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive reduced rates.
- Clubs and Organizations - Participating in certain professional organizations may earn a discount on your policy.
- Safety Course Discount - Taking a course in driver safety could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- Anti-theft System - Vehicles with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Keep in mind that some credits don't apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So when it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it just doesn't work that way.
Insurance agents can help
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Everyone's situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Virginia?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
If you can't answer these questions, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and may give you better protection.
Save $429 a year? Really?
Virginia consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for car insurance savings by companies like Allstate and Progressive. All the ads have a common claim that you can save if you change to them.
How do they all make almost identical claims? This is how they do it.
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that earns them a profit. For example, a preferred risk could possibly be a mature driver, insures multiple vehicles, and has great credit. A driver that hits that "sweet spot" gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to cut their rates substantially.
Potential customers who don't qualify for the "perfect" profile will be charged a higher premium and this can result in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say "drivers who switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save money. This is how insurance companies can advertise the savings. That is why you should get as many comparisons as possible. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will fit your personal profile best.
Additional detailed information can be found at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Virginia consumers can read consumer alerts, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
Best coverage at the best price
When you buy insurance online, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Affordable auto insurance can be sourced online and with local Fairfax insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund, questionable increases in premium and even policy non-renewal. No matter why you want to switch, switching auto insurance companies is less work than it seems.