Proven Techniques to Save on East Lansing Auto Insurance
Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy high-priced auto insurance? Believe me when I say there are a lot of people in East Lansing just like you who feel imprisoned by their auto insurance policy.
With so many auto insurance companies to choose from, it is very difficult to pick the most cost effective provider.
Finding affordable coverage in East Lansing is easy if you know what you're doing. If you have car insurance now, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using this information. But Michigan drivers do need to know the methods companies use to sell online.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't always publicize every discount very well, so the following is a list of both well-publicized and the harder-to-find ways to save on auto insurance.
- Driver's Ed - Have your child successfully complete driver's ed class if offered at their school.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low mileage vehicles could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Multiple Cars - Buying insurance for all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Paperwork-free - Certain companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up online.
- Homeowners Discount - Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Accident Free - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay less when compared to bad drivers.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If paying your policy premium upfront instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
- Safety Course Discount - Completing a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Michigan, click this link.
How to Compare East Lansing Auto Insurance Costs
There are several ways to compare auto insurance prices and some are less labor-intensive and much quicker. You can waste a lot of time talking about coverages with agents in East Lansing, or you can stay home and use the internet to get the quickest rates.
Many insurance companies take part in a program that allows shoppers to submit one quote, and each participating company provides a quote based on that information. This system prevents you from having to do quote requests to each individual auto insurance company.
To submit your quote information now, click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to doing it this way is that you can't choose which carriers to get quotes from. So if you want to select specific providers for rate comparison, we have a page of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Michigan. Click here to view list.
It doesn't matter which method you choose, just compare apples-to-apples quote information for each price quote. If the quotes have mixed coverages you will not be able to truly determine the lowest rate in East Lansing. Having just a slight variation in insurance coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. Just keep in mind that more quotes provides better odds of finding a better price.
Why some people pay less for insurance in East Lansing
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the items companies use to determine prices.
- Theft deterrents lower rates - Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention devices such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Drive a safer car and pay less - Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles result in less severe injuries and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Adjust deductibles and save - Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims could be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and burglary. The more expense you're willing to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- How many coverages with the same company - Some auto insurance companies provide better rates to customers who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it's in your best interest to compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. Drivers may still find a better deal by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Being married can save on auto insurance - Getting married helps lower the price on your auto insurance policy. Having a significant other is viewed as being more mature than a single person it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Never go without insurance - Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance lapse. Not only will rates go up, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Michigan motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Don't sacrifice liability coverage - Your policy's liability coverage provides coverage when a court rules you are at fault for damages from an accident. It provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Is there truth in advertising?
Auto insurance providers like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO consistently run television and radio advertisements. They all make the same claim that you'll save big if you change to them. But how can every company make almost identical claims? This is how they do it.
All companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that is profitable for them. A good example of a driver they prefer could possibly be over the age of 40, has no tickets, and has excellent credit. A customer getting a price quote who matches those parameters will get the preferred rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Drivers who don't measure up to this ideal profile will be quoted higher premiums which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state "drivers who switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save money. That's the way companies can make those claims. This emphasizes why drivers must get quotes from several different companies. It's impossible to know which auto insurance company will have the lowest rates.
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be sourced online and with local East Lansing insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
While you're price shopping online, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where an insured dropped collision coverage and discovered at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Find out more about auto insurance
More detailed Michigan auto insurance information can be read at the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation website. Michigan consumers can view a list of available companies, find disaster information, report car insurance fraud, and read consumer alerts.