Easy Methods to Pay Less on Aurora Car Insurance
If you've never shopped for car insurance online, you can be overwhelmed by the hoards of car insurance companies competing for business in Aurora.
It's important to check car insurance prices occasionally due to the fact that insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the best deal last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because I'm going to teach you the only way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
How much can you save with discounts?
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there are discounts available to reduce the price significantly. Most are applied when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for before being credited. If you aren't receiving every discount you qualify for, you're paying more than you need to.
- Bundle and Save - When you combine your home and auto insurance with one company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Save with a New Car - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
- Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Early Switch Discount - Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Good Student - A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky. Any amount of discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of companies who offer car insurance discounts in Aurora, click here.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Aurora, CO
There are several ways to shop for car insurance, and some are more efficient than others. You can waste a lot of time driving to agents in Aurora, or you could save time and use the web to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
Many insurance companies participate in an industry program that allows shoppers to enter their coverage request one time, and at least one company then returns a price quote. This prevents consumers from doing repetitive form submissions for each company you want a rate for.
To submit your quote information now, click to open in new window.
The only drawback to getting quotes like this is that you can't choose which carriers you want to price. If you would rather choose specific providers for rate comparison, we put together a list of car insurance companies in Colorado. Click to view list.
However you get your quotes, make absolute certain that you use exactly the same information for each comparison quote. If you are comparing higher or lower deductibles it will be impossible to determine the lowest rate in Aurora.
What determines how much you pay?
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower car insurance prices.
The following are some of the factors companies use to determine rates.
- Where you live can impact rates - Living in a rural area can be a good thing when talking about car insurance. Less people living in that area means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Urban drivers have much more traffic to deal with and longer commute times. More time commuting means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Better credit means lower rates - Credit history is a important factor in determining your rates. If your credit score is not that good, you could pay less to insure your by improving your credit score. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Pleasure use saves money - Driving more miles each year the more you will pay for car insurance. Most companies charge to insure your cars based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars left parked in the garage can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your car insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- Do you have a high stress job? - Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for car insurance? Jobs such as doctors, social workers and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates because of high stress levels and lengthy work days. Other occupations like scientists, historians and performers have the lowest average rates.
How much car insurance do I need?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Everyone's needs are different.
For example, these questions might point out if your insurance needs could use an agent's help.
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Colorado?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Consumers in Colorado can't get away from ads for cheaper car insurance by companies like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all seem to have a common claim about savings after switching to them.
How can each company claim to save you money?
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver that is profitable for them. An example of a desirable insured might be over the age of 40, owns a home, and has great credit. Any driver that hits that "sweet spot" gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Consumers who don't meet the requirements will have to pay higher prices and this can result in the customer not buying. Company advertisements say "customers that switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save money. That is how companies can truthfully advertise the savings.
Because of the profiling, drivers must get quotes from several different companies. You cannot predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
In the end, you save
As you prepare to switch companies, it's a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, policy cancellation, delays in paying claims or high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn't matter what your reason, choosing a new insurance company is actually quite simple.
We just presented a lot of techniques to compare car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the lowest premiums are with a small local company.
Additional information is available on the Colorado DORA Division of Insurance website located here. Visitors are able to view agent and company licensing information, find out industry alerts, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.