Proven Ways to Save on Auburn Auto Insurance
Expensive auto insurance can drain your checking account and force you to make sacrifices. Comparison shopping is a smart way to help make ends meet.
Because there are so many different company options, it can be impossible to locate the lowest price car insurance company.
It's important to compare rates yearly because prices are constantly changing. If you had the best rates on your last policy you will most likely find a better rate today. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding auto insurance on the web, but we're going to give you some great ways to put money back in your pocket.
Policy discounts you shouldn't miss
Car insurance is not cheap, but there could be available discounts to help offset the cost. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about prior to receiving the credit.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Save with a New Car - Buying coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having a deployed family member can result in better rates.
- Theft Prevention System - Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
- Accident Waiver - Some insurance companies will forgive one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, auto insurance companies aren't that generous. Any amount of discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
Insurance agents can help
When it comes to buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For example, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Maine?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Save $429 a year? Really?
Companies like Allstate and Progressive regularly use television and radio advertisements. All the ads say the same thing about savings if you move to their company. But how can every company claim to save you money?
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the driver that earns them a profit. A good example of a preferred risk might be between 25 and 40, has no prior claims, and has great credit. A customer getting a price quote who fits that profile gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Potential customers who don't qualify for this ideal profile will be charged higher prices which usually ends up with the customer not buying. Company advertisements say "customers that switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save that much. This is how companies can truthfully advertise the savings.
That is why you should get as many quotes as possible. It's impossible to know which insurance companies will fit your personal profile best.
Learn more about auto insurance in Maine
Additional information can be read on the website for the Maine Bureau of Insurance located here. Visitors are able to find out industry alerts, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, view a list of available companies, and read consumer alerts.
Also read more on BankRate.com's Car Insurance: When not to Skimp and this directory of Auburn insurance agents.
When you buy insurance online, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and discovered at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheap auto insurance is possible both online and also from your neighborhood Auburn agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.