Consumer Tested Strategies to Save on Worthington Auto Insurance
No one in their right mind looks forward to paying for auto insurance, in particular when the cost is too high. Online insurance companies like GEICO and Progressive promote their brand names with ads and it is difficult to sift through the bull and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Worthington Rates are Influenced by These Factors
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that could result in lower auto insurance prices.
The following are some of the items auto insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- What are your deductibles? - Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend before your auto insurance pays a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply could be colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and burglary. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Traffic violations increase rates - Only having one ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers get better rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers with flagrant tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- Occupation reflects on rates - Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Occupations such as real estate brokers, executives and dentists tend to have the highest average rates due to high stress levels and lengthy work days. Other occupations like scientists, historians and performers receive lower rates.
- Teen drivers pay high rates - Older drivers are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers. Teen drivers are known to be more careless behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
Vehicle Insurance Comparison
There are several ways to shop for auto insurance, and some are easier and takes less work. You can spend your afternoon talking about coverages with agents in Worthington, or you could use the internet to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
Most of the larger companies enroll in a system that allows shoppers to submit their information once, and each company returns a rated price determined by their information. This system prevents you from having to do quote requests to each individual auto insurance company.
To submit your quote information now, click here to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to getting quotes like this is that you can't choose which providers you want pricing from. So if you prefer to choose specific providers for rate comparison, we put together a list of companies who write auto insurance in Ohio. Click to view list.
It doesn't matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare exactly the same quote information for every quote you compare. If your comparisons have mixed coverages you can't possibly determine the best price in Worthington.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Most are applied at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit. If you aren't receiving every discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Homeowners Savings - Owning a home in Worthington may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Good Student - This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- No Accidents - Good drivers with no accidents pay less when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Student in College - Any of your kids living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Paperless Signup - Certain companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy digitally online.
- Braking Control Discount - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren't that generous. Any amount of discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
To choose insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Worthington, click this link.
Is there truth in advertising?
Ohio consumers can't ignore all the ads for cheaper car insurance by Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies make the same claim about savings after switching to their company.
How can each company make almost identical claims? It's all in the numbers.
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the driver that makes them money. A good example of a profitable customer could possibly be over the age of 40, a clean driving record, and has excellent credit. A driver who matches those parameters receives the best rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don't measure up to the requirements must pay higher prices which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say "customers who switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save that much. That is how companies can truthfully make those claims.
This illustrates why you need to get quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to predict which company will have the lowest rates.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When buying coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions may help highlight whether or not you could use an agent's help.
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Ohio?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Worthington?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Additional information can be read on the website for the Ohio Department of Insurance found here. Ohio consumers can report car insurance fraud, file complaints about a company, read industry bulletins, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
A tidy conclusion
Cheap auto insurance can be sourced online and also from your neighborhood Worthington agents, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not provide online price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
In this article, we presented many ideas to compare auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may be surprised to find that the lowest premiums are with a small mutual company. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like .