Easy Methods to Save Money on Wilmington Auto Insurance
Finding lower premiums on Wilmington auto insurance is challenging for consumers not familiar with shopping for insurance online. You have so many choices that it can be a lot of work to compare prices in Wilmington.
It's important to compare prices once or twice a year since insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the best price a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you're about to learn the proper way to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
Pricing affordable coverage in Wilmington is quite easy. If you have insurance now or are looking for a new policy, you will benefit by learning to find better prices while maximizing coverage. Ohio drivers only need an understanding of the tricks to get comparison quotes online.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that go into determining auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates enables informed choices that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts - Most insurers give discounts to people who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you still need to comparison shop to ensure the best deal. You may still be able to find better rates by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Better crash test results mean better rates - Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safer cars reduce injuries and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates.
- A clean driving record saves money - Your driving record has a big impact on rates. Even a single moving violation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Careful drivers have lower premiums than bad drivers. Drivers who get serious violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to file a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to continue driving.
- Your occupation can affect rates - Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like lawyers, business owners and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates because of job stress and long work hours. On the other hand, professions such as farmers, students and homemakers receive lower rates.
- Where you live is a factor - Being located in a small town has it's advantages when buying auto insurance. Drivers who live in large cities regularly have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents.
- Low deductibles can be expensive - Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are a windshield shattered by a rock, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- You might want pay the small claims yourself - Insurance companies in Ohio award discounts to policyholders who are claim-free. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Car insurance is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Costs in Wilmington
Reducing your insurance rates doesn't have to be difficult. Just invest a few minutes comparing rate quotes from different insurance companies. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The fastest way to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This easy form eliminates the need for separate quotes for each company. Taking the time to complete one form will return quotes instantly. This is by far the quickest method.
- A harder way to compare rate quotes is to take the time to go to the website for each individual company and request a quote. For instance, let's say you want rates from , and . You would have to go to every website and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Wilmington, click here.
- The least recommended way to compare rates is to drive around to and from local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the professional guidance of a licensed agent. However, consumers can find lower rates online and still use a local agent and we'll touch on that later.
It's your choice how you get your quotes, but double check that you are using apples-to-apples coverages and limits with every price quote. If you are comparing different deductibles it's not possible to find the best deal in Wilmington.
Take advantage of discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be manually applied prior to getting the savings. If you don't get every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Anti-theft System - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
- Service Members Pay Less - Being on active duty in the military could mean lower rates.
- Early Signing - Some insurance companies reward drivers for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- No Accidents - Claim-free drivers can save substantially compared to accident-prone drivers.
- One Accident Forgiven - Some insurance companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Good Students Pay Less - This discount can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Senior Discount - If you're over the age of 55, you may qualify for better auto insurance rates.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don't profit that way. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce your overall premium however.
To choose providers offering auto insurance discounts in Ohio, click here to view.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Ohio drivers can't ignore all the ads for the lowest price auto insurance by Allstate and Progressive. All the ads make an identical promise of big savings if you switch to their company.
But how can every company say the same thing?
Different companies can use profiling for the driver that makes them money. For example, a preferred risk might be profiled as over the age of 50, has no tickets, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A propective insured who meets those qualifications gets the lowest rates and most likely will save a lot of money.
Potential customers who don't qualify for this ideal profile will be charged a more expensive rate and ends up with business not being written. Company advertisements say "customers that switch" not "people who quote" save that much. That's why insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
That is why you need to compare as many rates as you can. It's not possible to predict the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Additional auto insurance information can be found on the Ohio Department of Insurance website located here. Ohio drivers can read consumer alerts, find disaster information, and file complaints about a company.
And the best car insurance company is...
When shopping online for auto insurance, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an insured dropped physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
People switch companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, unfair underwriting practices, high prices or even high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company is easier than you think.
Throughout this article, we presented many tips how you can compare auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may discover the biggest savings come from the least-expected company.