Free Guide to Saving Money on Portage Auto Insurance Online
No one in their right mind cherishes buying auto insurance, in particular when they are paying too much. You have so many to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, lots of choices makes it harder to compare rates.
It's important to price shop coverage periodically because prices are constantly changing. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. There is a lot of bad information regarding auto insurance online but I'm going to show you some great ways to save money.
Save big with these discounts
Companies do not list all their discounts very clearly, so we researched both well-publicized as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using. If you're not getting every credit you qualify for, you're paying more than you need to.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Good Student - A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- College Student - Kids in college who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Sign Online - A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy over the internet.
- Memberships - Participating in a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates on auto insurance.
- Military Discounts - Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
To see a list of companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Ohio, click here to view.
Portage Auto Insurance Comparisons
Finding cheaper auto insurance prices can be surprisingly simple. You just have to take the time getting comparison quotes provided by online insurance companies. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The best way consumers can make multiple comparisons is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This easy form saves time by eliminating repetitive form submissions to each individual auto insurance company. Just one form will get you rate comparisons from multiple companies.
- A more difficult way to get quotes online requires you to visit each company's website to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, we'll assume you want to compare , and . To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company's site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is more popular.
To view a list of companies in Portage, click here.
It's your choice how you get your quotes, but be sure to compare identical coverage information for every company. If you enter unequal deductibles or liability limits it's impossible to decipher which rate is best in Portage.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
The following are a partial list of the pieces that factor into rates.
- Mature drivers pay less - Teen drivers in Ohio are known to be more careless behind the wheel so they pay higher auto insurance rates. If you've ever had to add a teen driver onto your auto insurance can be quite pricey. Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and receive fewer citations.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates - Just one citation may increase your cost by twenty percent. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have flagrant citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- Pay less after the wedding - Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your policy. It usually means you are more responsible and it's proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Lower rates with optional equipment - Owning a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent car theft.
But I don't know anything about car insurance
When choosing the best auto insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Everyone's situation is a little different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions may help highlight if your situation might need an agent's assistance.
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Ohio?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Portage?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Auto insurance ads bend the truth
Ohio consumers can't get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to make an identical promise about savings after switching your policy.
How does each company make almost identical claims?
All the different companies have a certain "appetite" for the right customer that is profitable for them. For instance, a desirable insured could possibly be between the ages of 30 and 50, a clean driving record, and has excellent credit. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and most likely will save when switching.
Potential insureds who fall outside these standards will have to pay more money and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is "customers that switch" not "people who quote" save that kind of money. That is how companies can truthfully make those claims. Because of the profiling, drivers must compare many company's rates. It's impossible to know which company will have the lowest rates.
Best coverage at the best price
While you're price shopping online, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where someone dropped collision coverage and learned later they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford.
You just read many tips how you can compare auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like .
Cheap auto insurance can be bought online in addition to many Portage insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
Additional Ohio consumer information
Even more information is located at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, file complaints about a company, get help finding coverage, and view a list of available companies.