How to Know You're Spending Too Much for Auto Insurance in Painesville
Overpriced auto insurance can empty your savings account and put a big crunch on your finances. Shopping your coverage around is a smart way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket.
Numerous battle for your business, and because of this it can be hard to compare to discover the definitive lowest price
It's important to compare rates quite often because insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the lowest rates two years ago you will most likely find a better rate today. Starting right now, ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you're about to learn the tricks you need to know to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Take advantage of discounts
Auto insurance companies don't list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both well-publicized and the more hidden auto insurance savings.
- College Student - Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Sign Online - A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application on their website.
- Driver Safety - Successfully completing a course in driver safety could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Some companies give lower rates if you buy life insurance.
- Clubs and Organizations - Participating in certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break on auto insurance.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
How to know if you need help
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. These are some specific questions may help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Painesville?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Auto insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm continually stream ads on TV and radio. They all seem to say the same thing that you can save after switching to their company. How do they all make almost identical claims?
Insurance companies have a preferred profile for the driver that earns them a profit. For example, a desirable insured could possibly be a mature driver, insures multiple vehicles, and chooses high deductibles. A driver who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and most likely will cut their rates substantially.
Potential customers who don't qualify for the "perfect" profile will have to pay a higher premium which usually ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say "people who switch" not "people who quote" save that much. This is how insurance companies can state the savings. Because of the profiling, you should quote coverage with many companies. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
More sites with auto insurance information
Additional detailed information can be found at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, get help finding coverage, discover disciplinary actions, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
When buying insurance coverage, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate.
Affordable auto insurance can be sourced online and also from your neighborhood Painesville agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.