Proven Ways to Save on Ottoville Auto Insurance
Expensive auto insurance can empty your checking account and put a big crunch on your finances. Comparison shopping is a smart way to help make ends meet.
With so many choices, it's nearly impossible to choose the cheapest insurance company.
It's important to take a look at other company's rates quite often because prices are constantly changing. Just because you found the best deal last year you may be paying too much now. Starting now, ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you're going to get a crash course in the proper way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Free Quotes for Auto Insurance in Ottoville, Ohio
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from local Ottoville auto insurance companies. The recommended way to compare insurance prices consists of shopping online. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
The first (and easiest) way to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This method eliminates the need for separate quotation requests for every auto insurance company. One form gets you price quotes from auto insurance companies with the best prices.
A more difficult way to get quotes online requires visiting the website for each individual company to complete their respective quote request forms. For examples sake, we'll pretend you want comparison quotes from , and . To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Ottoville, click here.
The least efficient way to get comparison rates is driving to local Ottoville insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you require the trained guidance of a local Ottoville agent. You can, however, compare the best prices online and still use a local agent. We'll cover that shortly.
Which method you use is up to you, but make darn sure you compare apples-to-apples quote information on every quote you get. If you use mixed coverages it's not possible to determine which rate is truly the best in Ottoville. Just a small difference in coverages may cause a big price difference. And when comparison shopping, obtaining a wide range of quotes gives you a better chance of getting the best offered rates.
Ottoville Rates are Influenced by These Factors
It's important that you understand some of the elements that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels enables informed choices that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
The following are some of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Multiple policies with one company can save - Many companies give discounts to customers who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you're getting this discount you still need to shop around to ensure the best deal.
- Older drivers save more - Teen drivers in Ohio are known to be less responsible when driving so auto insurance rates are higher. If you've ever had to add a young driver to your auto insurance policy can break the bank. More mature drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and receive fewer citations.
- Women pay lower rates - Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. Women and men tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but men have costlier accidents. Men also get cited for more serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates - Even a single speeding ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Careful drivers have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who get flagrant violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- Increase deductibles and save - Physical damage coverage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply could be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage caused by hail, and windstorm damage. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
Save big with these discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but some must be asked for prior to getting the savings.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Resident Student - Children who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Accident Waiver - Some insurance companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Good Student Discount - Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Multiple Vehicles - Insuring multiple vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Save over 55 - Older drivers may be able to get better auto insurance rates.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren't that generous. Any amount of discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
For a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Ohio, follow this link.
But I don't know anything about car insurance
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. These are some specific questions may help you determine if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Ohio?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Ottoville?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Ohio?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Additional information is available on the website for the Ohio Department of Insurance located here. Ohio consumers can read consumer alerts, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about insurance regulations, and file complaints about a company.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
When trying to cut insurance costs, don't be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheap auto insurance can be sourced online and also from your neighborhood Ottoville agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. A few companies may not provide online quoting and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
You just read a lot of information how to lower your auto insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may be surprised to find that the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company. Smaller companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like .