6 Ways You Can Buy Car Insurance for Less in New London
Beginners to buying insurance online might discover finding the cheapest New London car insurance to be a formidable task.
More discounts equal less premium
Companies don't always publicize every discount very clearly, so the following is a list of some of the more common and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving.
- Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with a few car insurance companies.
- Good Student - This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Paperwork-free - Certain companies will give a small break for buying your policy over the internet.
- Distant Student - Youth drivers living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Payment Method - By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Just because you may think it's possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
To choose insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Ohio, click here.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Car insurance providers like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO continually stream ads in print and on television. They all have a common claim about savings after switching your policy. How does each company make the same claim? This is how they do it.
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the right customer that makes them money. A good example of a driver they prefer could be between the ages of 40 and 55, a clean driving record, and drives newer vehicles. Any new insured that hits that "sweet spot" gets the lowest rates and therefore will save when switching.
Potential customers who do not match these standards will be quoted higher prices and this can result in business going elsewhere. The ads say "drivers who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that kind of money. That is how companies can truthfully claim big savings. This emphasizes why you should compare many company's rates. It's just too difficult to predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
It's not one size fits all
When buying coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a "perfect" insurance plan. Everyone's situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Ohio?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- What are Ohio no-fault laws?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- What can I do if my company won't pay a claim?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Even more information can be read at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Consumers can download brochures, file complaints about a company, and get help finding coverage.
Drivers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, poor customer service, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or even not issuing a premium refund. It doesn't matter why you want to switch switching car insurance companies is easier than you think.
You just learned a lot of techniques to save on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier.
Cheap car insurance can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many New London insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not provide online price quotes and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.