Tightwads Guide for Saving on Mt Sterling Auto Insurance
No one looks forward to paying for auto insurance, in particular when the cost is way too high.
Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive increase brand awareness with fancy advertisements and it is challenging if not impossible to sift through the bull and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It's important to compare prices occasionally because prices are constantly changing. Just because you found the best price a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you're about to find out how to use online quotes to find better coverage at a better price.
If you have car insurance now, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using these methods. Buying car insurance in Mt Sterling is easy if you know what you're doing. But Ohio drivers do need to know the way companies sell online and apply this information to your search.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Mt Sterling, OH
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from different Mt Sterling insurance companies. The recommended way to find competitive insurance rates is to use the internet to compare rates. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
The first (and easiest) way to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form saves time by eliminating repetitive form entry for every auto insurance company. A single form gets you price quotes direct from many companies.
A more difficult way to compare rate quotes requires visiting each company's website to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, we'll pretend you want to compare , and . To get rate quotes you would need to spend time on each company's site and enter your policy data, which is why most consumers use the first method.
To view a list of companies in Mt Sterling, click here.
The most time-consuming method to get comparison rates is to waste gas driving to local Mt Sterling insurance agencies. Shopping for auto insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you prefer the personal advice of a local Mt Sterling agent. It is possible to compare the best prices online and still use a local agent. We'll cover that shortly.
However you get your quotes, make absolute certain that you use exactly the same quote information with each company. If each company quotes mixed coverages it will be impossible to make an equal comparison in Mt Sterling. Slightly different insurance coverages can result in a big premium difference. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing a large number of companies will increase your chances of finding the best offered rates.
How to Lower your Auto Insurance Rates
It's important that you understand the factors that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
The following are a few of the "ingredients" used by your company to calculate rates.
- Older drivers save more - Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and receive fewer citations. Teen drivers are known to be careless and easily distracted behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Discounts for multiple policies - Many insurance companies will give a discount to customers who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to 10 percent or more. Even though this discount sounds good, you may still want to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Being married is a good thing - Having a spouse can get you a discount on auto insurance. It translates into being more mature than a single person and it's statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Save money with special equipment - Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system can help prevent auto theft.
Take advantage of discounts
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise all their discounts in a way that's easy to find, so we took the time to find both well-publicized and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving.
- College Student - Youth drivers who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Homeowners Savings - Owning a house in Mt Sterling can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Payment Method - By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Club Memberships - Participating in a civic or occupational organization may earn a discount on auto insurance.
- Driver Safety - Completing a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Drive Less and Save - Fewer annual miles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Save over 55 - Older drivers may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
Consumers should know that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, companies don't profit that way.
For a list of companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Mt Sterling, click here.
How to know if you need help
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone's needs are different and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions might point out whether your personal situation might need an agent's assistance.
- What are Ohio no-fault laws?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
More detailed Ohio auto insurance information can be found at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read consumer alerts, get help finding coverage, and view a list of available companies.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
As you shop your coverage around, it's not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate.
Discount auto insurance can be sourced online as well as from independent agents in Mt Sterling, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers don't offer online quoting and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
You just read a lot of techniques to lower your auto insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the lowest rates come from an unexpected company. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like .