Tightwads Guide for Saving on Madison Car Insurance
Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy overpriced car insurance? Believe me when I say there are many Madison consumers feeling the pinch from expensive car insurance. Online insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive continually bombard you with ad campaigns and it can be hard to sift through the bull and take the time to shop coverage around.
It's important to do rate comparisons at least once a year due to the fact that insurance rates are constantly changing. Despite the fact that you may have had the best rates a year ago you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of bad advice regarding car insurance on the web, but I'm going to show you some great ways to slash your car insurance rates.
Quick Madison Car Insurance Quotes
Getting better car insurance pricing is a fairly straight forward process. Just take a couple of minutes comparing rate quotes provided by online insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
The first (and easiest) way to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This easy form eliminates the need for repetitive form submissions to each individual car insurance company. Completing one form will get you rate comparisons from multiple companies.
A slightly less efficient method to compare rate quotes requires you to visit the website for each individual company and request a quote. For examples sake, let's say you want to compare rates from , and . To find out each rate you need to take the time to go to each site and enter your policy data, which is why most consumers use the first method.
To view a list of companies in Madison, click here.
It's your choice how you get your quotes, but compare exactly the same coverage information with every price quote. If you use unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be impossible to find the best deal in Madison.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Madison
It's important that you understand the different types of things that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with big savings.
The following are some of the items companies use to determine rates.
- The more you drive the more you pay - Driving more miles in a year the more you will pay for car insurance. Most companies charge to insure your cars based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your car insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage.
- Extra coverages can waste money - There are a ton of extra coverages that you can buy when buying car insurance. Insurance for roadside assistance, towing coverage and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment at first, but if you don't need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Men pay higher rates - Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. They both tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but the males have costlier accidents. They also receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Equipment add-ons that lower car insurance rates - Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart car theft.
- Older drivers save more - Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and receive fewer citations. Youthful drivers are known to be more careless when behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- How many coverages with the same company - Many insurers will give a discount to insureds who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can add up to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even if you're getting this discount you may still want to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal. You may still find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates - Your driving citation history has a huge affect on how much you pay. Good drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Even one moving violation can increase rates forty percent or more. Drivers who have flagrant citations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may need to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
Take advantage of discounts
Car insurance companies don't always publicize all their discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the following is a list of both the well known and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using. If you aren't receiving every discount possible, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Life Insurance - Companies who offer life insurance give better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Driver Safety - Taking part in a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Senior Citizens - Older drivers may be able to get reduced rates.
- Payment Method - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- College Student - Kids in college living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
For a list of companies who offer car insurance discounts in Madison, click here to view.
Even more information can be read at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, discover disciplinary actions, learn about insurance regulations, and view a list of available companies.
A tidy conclusion
While you're price shopping online, it's not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, an insured dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn't purchase enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate.
Cheap car insurance can be bought both online and with local Madison insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not offer online quoting and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.