How to Know You're Paying Too Much for Car Insurance in Liberty Twp
Nobody I know looks forward to paying for car insurance, especially when their premiums are through the roof.
Companies like GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with TV and radio ads and it can be hard to sift through the bull and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It's important to do rate comparisons periodically because rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest rates a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. So just forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you're going to learn the tricks you need to know to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Liberty Twp
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that go into determining your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
- Your credit rating is important - Your credit score is a important factor in determining your rates. So if your credit rating is lower than you'd like, you could save money insuring your by improving your credit score. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with poor credit.
- Performance level impacts rates - The type of car you drive makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Economy passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- An active claims history can cost you - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance companies in Ohio generally give cheaper rates to drivers who file claims infrequently. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts - Most insurance companies give discounts to policyholders who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to 10 percent or more. Even with this discount, you still need to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.
How to Get Liberty Twp Car Insurance Comparison Quotes
There are several ways to compare quotes from different Liberty Twp insurance companies. One of the best ways to compare insurance prices is to get quotes online. This is very easy and can be done using a couple different methods.
- The fastest way to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form keeps you from doing separate quotes for every car insurance company. Just one form will return quotes instantly.
- Another way to get quotes online is to take the time to go to the website for each individual company and fill out their own quote form. For example, let's say you want to compare , and . To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Liberty Twp, click here.
- The most time-consuming method to compare rates is to drive around to different agent offices. The internet eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the professional advice of a local agent. It is possible to find lower rates online and still use a local agent and we'll talk about that later.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to compare exactly the same coverages and limits for each comparison quote. If you have different deductibles it's not possible to determine the lowest rate in Liberty Twp. Slightly different limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. Keep in mind that more quotes will improve the odds of getting a lower rate.
Save big with these discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you may find discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be manually applied before being credited.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Early Signing - Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more.
Keep in mind that some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think it's possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn't work that way. But any discount will reduce your overall premium however.
To choose providers offering car insurance discounts in Liberty Twp, click here.
Car insurance ads bend the truth
Companies like Allstate and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads on TV and radio. All the ads have a common claim that you can save if you switch to them. How can each company make the same claim?
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver that makes them money. For example, a preferred risk could be over the age of 50, a clean driving record, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer that hits that "sweet spot" will get very good rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Consumers who fall outside the requirements will be charged higher prices and this can result in business going elsewhere. The ads say "customers that switch" not "people who quote" save money. That is how insurance companies can advertise the way they do.
That is why you need to get as many comparisons as possible. Because you never know which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
But I don't know anything about car insurance
When buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions may help highlight if your situation may require specific advice.
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
More information can be found on the website for the Ohio Department of Insurance located here. Consumers can find out industry alerts, learn about specific coverages, download brochures, and read consumer alerts.
Do the work, save more money
When shopping online for car insurance, it's a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
We just showed you a lot of ways to compare car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the biggest savings come from the least-expected company. These smaller insurers can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like .