9 Discounts Kent Consumers Forget when Quoting Car Insurance
Nobody likes paying for car insurance, particularly when their premiums are through the roof. Numerous battle for your insurance dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates to get the lowest rate
Take advantage of discounts
Car insurance companies do not advertise every discount in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both the well known and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using. If they aren't giving you every credit you qualify for, you're paying more than you need to.
- Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with a few car insurance companies.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Student Driver Training - Have your child successfully complete driver's ed class in high school.
- Defensive Driving Course - Successfully completing a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Save with a New Car - Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Military Discounts - Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Passive Restraints - Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings up to 30%.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Accident Forgiveness - A few companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
It's important to note that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, you're out of luck.
To see a list of insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in Kent, click here to view.
Finding Car Insurance in Kent, OH
Finding cheaper car insurance prices can be surprisingly simple. Just spend a few minutes to compare quotes online from several insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The best way consumers can make multiple comparisons is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This easy form eliminates the need for repetitive form submissions for each company you want a rate for. A single form will return price quotes from multiple companies.
- A more time consuming way to compare rate quotes consists of visiting the website of each company and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, let's say you want to compare , and . To get each rate you have to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker.
To view a list of companies in Kent, click here.
- The least recommended method of comparing rate quotes is to drive around to insurance agents' offices. The ability to buy insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you want the professional advice that only a license agent can provide. However, consumers can obtain prices from the web and still use a local agent and we'll cover that in a bit.
It's your choice how you get your quotes, but make absolute certain that you use the exact same deductibles and coverage limits for every quote you compare. If the quotes have different values for each quote then you won't be able to determine the best price in Kent.
How to know if you need help
When choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there is no "best" method to buy coverage. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions might point out whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Are car insurance companies telling the truth?
Consumers in Ohio can't get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. They all make an identical promise that you can save if you move your policy.
How do they all claim to save you money? It's all in the numbers.
Insurance companies have a certain "appetite" for the right customer that is profitable for them. For example, a driver they prefer might be over the age of 50, owns a home, and has excellent credit. Any new insured who meets those qualifications will get the preferred rates and most likely will cut their rates substantially.
Potential customers who don't qualify for the "perfect" profile will be quoted higher prices and ends up with the customer not buying. The ads state "customers who switch" not "people who quote" save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can make those claims. This emphasizes why drivers must compare as many rates as you can. It's just too difficult to predict which company will have the lowest rates.
In the end, you save
While you're price shopping online, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are too many instances where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Lower-priced car insurance is possible both online in addition to many Kent insurance agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
For more Ohio car insurance information
Additional detailed information can be found at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to download brochures, read consumer alerts, view a list of available companies, and discover disciplinary actions.