How to Know You're Throwing Money Away for Auto Insurance in Harrison
Tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul each month for car insurance? Your situation is no different than most other car owners in Ohio. Drivers have multiple to buy insurance from, and even though it's nice to be able to choose, it can be more challenging to compare rates.
It's important to take a look at other company's rates before your policy renews since insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the best price last year you can probably find a better price now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because we're going to demonstrate how to quote online to get good coverage at a lower rate.
Harrison Rates are Influenced by These Factors
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are a few of the "ingredients" auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Pleasure use saves money - The higher the mileage driven every year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Most insurance companies price each vehicle's coverage based upon how you use the vehicle. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates - Jobs such as lawyers, architects and financial analysts tend to have higher average rates because of high stress levels and long work days. Conversely, occupations like farmers, engineers and retirees receive lower rates.
- Add-on coverages can add up - There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that you can buy if you aren't careful. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and term life insurance are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but if they're wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- Bump up deductibles to save - Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, or theft. Your deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- With age comes lower rates - Teenage drivers in Ohio have a tendency to be more careless in a vehicle so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers.
- Save money with special equipment - Driving a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder your car from being stolen.
- Your spouse saves you money - Having a spouse helps lower the price when buying auto insurance. It means you're more responsible and it's proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Liability coverage protects you - Your policy's liability coverage will protect you if ever a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
How much can you save with discounts?
Companies don't list all their discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find some of the best known as well as the least known auto insurance savings. If you're not getting every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- No Accidents - Claim-free drivers can save substantially as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Drive Less and Save - Low mileage vehicles can earn lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Homeowners Pay Less - Owning a house in Harrison may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Employee of Federal Government - Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Factory air bags may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
To choose companies with discount auto insurance rates in Ohio, follow this link.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Ohio drivers can't ignore all the ads for the lowest price auto insurance by GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all seem to say the same thing about savings if you change to their company.
How does each company say the same thing?
Insurance companies can use profiling for the driver that makes them money. For example, a desirable insured might be profiled as between 25 and 40, is a homeowner, and has great credit. A propective insured who fits that profile will get very good rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential insureds who don't meet these standards will have to pay more money which usually ends up with business not being written. The ads say "customers that switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save that much. That's why companies can truthfully advertise the savings. Because of the profiling, you should compare many company's rates. It's not possible to predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
Learn more today
Even more information can be found at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio drivers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, read industry bulletins, discover disciplinary actions, and report car insurance fraud.
In the end, you save
As you prepare to switch companies, never buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford.
Cheap auto insurance is attainable on the web and also from your neighborhood Harrison agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not provide online price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.