Getting the Cheapest Harrington Park Auto Insurance
Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an overpriced auto insurance policy? Trust us, there are many people just like you.
Online insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive increase brand awareness with advertising and it is challenging if not impossible to sift through the bull and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Take advantage of discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, buy you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time of purchase, but a few must be inquired about prior to receiving the credit.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Clubs and Organizations - Participating in a civic or occupational organization could trigger savings when shopping for auto insurance.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Federal Government Employee - Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Auto/Life Discount - Companies who offer life insurance give better rates if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
- Multiple Cars - Insuring all your vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, auto insurance companies aren't that generous. Any amount of discount will reduce your overall premium however.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
- Your car's features help determine rates - Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Liability coverage protects you - Your policy's liability coverage provides coverage when a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Better crash test results mean better rates - Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates - Careers like judges, executives and dentists are shown to have the highest average rates because of high stress levels and lengthy work days. Other professions such as actors, historians and retirees pay the least.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use - The higher the mileage driven in a year the higher your rate. The majority of insurers apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos left parked in the garage receive lower rates than those used for commuting. Make sure your auto insurance declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Do you know your deductibles? - Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your auto insurance pays a claim. Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and burglary. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less your auto insurance will be.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Auto insurance providers like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO consistently run ads on TV and radio. They all make the same claim about savings if you change your policy. How can each company make almost identical claims?
All companies are able to cherry pick for the right customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a driver they prefer could possibly be a mature driver, has no driving citations, and has great credit. A customer getting a price quote who matches those parameters gets the lowest rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don't qualify for the requirements will be quoted higher prices which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say "customers that switch" not "people who quote" save that kind of money. That's the way companies can truthfully advertise the savings.
This emphasizes why drivers should get as many quotes as possible. It's impossible to know which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
Additional information is located on the website for the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance located here. New Jersey consumers can view a list of available companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, find disaster information, and read industry bulletins.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
Cheap auto insurance is attainable online in addition to many Harrington Park insurance agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
When you buy insurance online, it's not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed collision coverage and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.