Consumer Tested Strategies to Save on Grand Rapids Car Insurance
No one in their right mind looks forward to paying for car insurance, especially when their premiums are through the roof.
Big-name insurance companies like GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with advertising and consumers find it hard to sift through the bull and take the time to shop coverage around.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. Finding affordable coverage in Grand Rapids is easy if you know what you're doing. But Ohio car owners do need to know how companies sell insurance online and use this information to your advantage.
Grand Rapids Car Insurance Quote Comparison
The are a couple different ways to compare quotes from different Grand Rapids insurance companies. The recommended way to find the lowest rates is to use the internet to compare rates. This can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The first (and easiest) way to get quotes is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do boring form submissions to each individual car insurance company. A single form will return quotes from all major companies.
Another way to shop for car insurance online is to take the time to go to the website for every company you want to comare to complete their respective quote request forms. For instance, we'll assume you want to compare , and . To find out each rate you need to go to every website and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Grand Rapids, click here.
The most time-consuming method to compare rates is driving around to different agent offices. The internet makes this process obsolete unless you require the personal advice only provided by licensed agents. It is possible to compare the best prices online but buy from a local insurance agent and we'll talk about that later.
Whichever method you choose, make absolute certain that you use exactly the same coverages and limits on every quote you get. If you are comparing different deductibles it's impossible to determine which rate is truly the best in Grand Rapids. Slightly different insurance coverages can make a big difference in price. And when quoting car insurance, remember that quoting more will improve the odds of getting a lower rate.
What determines how much you pay?
It's important that you understand the factors that go into determining your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that could result in big savings.
Listed below are a few of the "ingredients" companies use to determine premiums.
- Policy add-ons can waste money - There are many additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and motor club memberships are some examples. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if you don't need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Better credit means lower rates - A driver's credit score is a important factor in determining your rates. If your credit rating is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your credit score. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with poor credit.
- More claims means more premium - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Ohio generally give cheaper rates to people who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- How's your driving record? - Good drivers have lower premiums than bad drivers. Even a single ticket can increase rates twenty percent or more. Drivers with serious tickets like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
Policy discounts you shouldn't miss
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. Some trigger automatically when you quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Defensive Driver - Taking part in a driver safety course can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Federal Employees - Simply working for the federal government may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Early Signing - Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Driving fewer miles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Good Student - Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- New Car Discount - Adding a new car to your policy can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Military Rewards - Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower rates.
Consumers should know that some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don't profit that way. But all discounts will reduce the amount you have to pay.
For a list of insurers offering car insurance discounts in Grand Rapids, click here.
Insurance agents can help
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone's situation is a little different and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions might point out whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Much more information about car insurance in Ohio can be found on the website for the Ohio Department of Insurance located here. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, find out industry alerts, download brochures, and file complaints about a company.
Do the work, save more money
Discount car insurance is available from both online companies and with local Grand Rapids insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies do not offer online quoting and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
We just showed you a lot of ways to lower your car insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like .