Comparing Low-Cost Girard Car Insurance
Are you tired of not being able to afford each month for car insurance? You're in the same situation as the majority of other car owners in Ohio.
Because you have many car insurance companies to choose from, it can be challenging to locate the lowest cost car insurance company.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but companies offer discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be applied at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be manually applied prior to getting the savings.
- Driver's Ed - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver's ed class in high school.
- Seat Belt Usage - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Employee of Federal Government - Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount with a few car insurance companies.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Senior Citizens - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
It's important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you're out of luck. But any discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
Understand what determines the rate you pay
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The list below includes a few of the "ingredients" that factor into prices.
- More claims means more premium - If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Companies in Ohio generally give discounts to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Never go without insurance - Driving without insurance is against the law and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time.You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Ohio DMV.
- Discounts for multiple policies - The majority of insurance companies provide better rates to insureds who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you still need to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Consumers may find better rates by splitting coverages up.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation - Careers like lawyers, social workers and stock brokers are shown to have the highest rates because of high stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like farmers, students and the unemployed pay the least.
- Liability insurance protects assets - The liability section of your policy will protect you when you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Rural vs Urban Areas - Being located in less populated areas can save you money when talking about car insurance. Urban drivers tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Less people living in that area means reduced accidents.
- Older drivers pay less - Youthful drivers in Ohio tend to be careless and easily distracted in a vehicle so car insurance rates are higher. Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? - There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that can waste your money when buying car insurance. Things like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and membership fees are some examples. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
Is there truth in advertising?
Car insurance providers like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO regularly use television and radio advertisements. They all have a common claim that you can save if you move your policy. But how can every company claim to save you money?
All the different companies can use profiling for the right customer that earns them a profit. For example, a driver they prefer might be between the ages of 30 and 50, is a homeowner, and has a short commute. Any driver that hits that "sweet spot" will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Potential customers who don't measure up to this ideal profile will be quoted a more expensive rate and this can result in the customer not buying. The ad wording is "customers that switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save that kind of money. That's why insurance companies can make the claims of big savings.
This emphasizes why drivers should compare as many rates as you can. You cannot predict the company that will fit your personal profile best.
Learn more today
More information can be found on the website for the Ohio Department of Insurance located here. Visitors are able to download brochures, find a variety of consumer forms, read consumer alerts, and read industry bulletins.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
As you shop your coverage around, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Lower-priced car insurance is definitely available both online in addition to many Girard insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.