Edison Auto Insurance For Less Than You're Paying Now
Buying the most affordable Edison auto insurance on the web is rather challenging for consumers new to price shopping online. When there are so many companies in the marketplace, how can you effectively compare the different rates to find the cheapest available price?
Choosing the best insurance company for you in Edison is not that difficult. Essentially anyone who carries auto insurance stands a good chance to be able to reduce their rates. Although Ohio drivers do need to know how insurance companies sell insurance online and use this information to your advantage.
Edison Rates are Influenced by These Factors
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels enables informed choices that could result in big savings.
- Add-on coverages can add up - There are many add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your auto insurance policy. Things like personal injury protection, accidental death and term life insurance may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment at first, but if they're wasting money remove them from your policy.
- With age comes lower rates - Teen drivers in Ohio are statistically proven to get distracted easily when driving so auto insurance rates are higher. If you've ever had to add a youthful driver to your auto insurance policy can be quite pricey. More mature drivers are more responsible, file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Traffic violations increase rates - Only having one moving violation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers receive lower rates than bad drivers. Drivers with serious tickets like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? - Most auto insurance companies will award you with lower prices to customers who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you're getting this discount you may still want to comparison shop to ensure the best deal.
- Are you male or female? - Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn't necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. They both cause accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species cause more damage. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
More discounts equal less premium
Companies offering auto insurance don't always advertise all available discounts very well, so we break down both well-publicized and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Defensive Driver - Taking part in a course in driver safety could cut 5% off your bill if your company offers it.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Early Signing - A few companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Theft Prevention System - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Save over 55 - If you're over the age of 55, you may qualify for better auto insurance rates.
- Auto/Life Discount - Companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Driving fewer miles can earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won't be that lucky.
To choose insurers offering auto insurance discounts in Ohio, click this link.
Switch companies and save? Really?
21st Century, Allstate and State Farm constantly bombard you with ads in print and on television. All the companies make the same claim about savings if you switch to their company. But how can every company make almost identical claims?
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the driver that makes them money. For example, a profitable customer could possibly be over the age of 50, insures multiple vehicles, and has a high credit rating. A driver who matches those parameters gets the lowest rates and therefore will save a lot of money.
Potential customers who do not match this ideal profile must pay a higher premium which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say "people who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that much. This is how companies can truthfully state the savings. This illustrates why you should get as many quotes as possible. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
It's not one size fits all
When buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Everyone's needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if you may require specific advice.
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
If it's difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
More sites with auto insurance information
Even more information can be found at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio consumers can discover disciplinary actions, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and file complaints about a company.
Shop smart and save
The cheapest auto insurance is available online and also from your neighborhood Edison agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not provide online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to save on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from an unexpected company.