Easy Techniques to Save Money on Dresden Car Insurance
Are you intimidated by the number of car insurance company choices in Dresden? You're not the only one! You have so many choices that it can turn into a challenge to compare prices.
It's important to compare prices every six months because rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the best deal two years ago you can probably find a better price now. So just block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're going to learn the only way to find lower rates on car insurance.
How to Lower your Car Insurance Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that go into determining your car insurance rates. Knowing what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
Listed below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate rates.
- With age comes lower rates - Young drivers in Ohio are statistically proven to be more careless when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and get fewer tickets.
- Do you know your deductibles? - Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more money you have to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money - Most insurers will give a discount to policyholders who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it's in your best interest to comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find a better deal by splitting coverages up.
- Battle of the sexes - Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn't necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women are in accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage. They also receive more costly citations such as reckless driving. Young males tend to get in the most accidents and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
- How's your driving record? - Your driving citation history has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Drivers who don't get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Even one speeding ticket can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers who have serious citations such as DUI or reckless driving may need to submit a SR-22 form with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Liability insurance protects assets - Liability insurance provides coverage if ever you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
These discounts can lower your rates
Car insurance companies don't always list all their discounts very clearly, so here is a list some of the more common and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using.
- 55 and Retired - If you're over the age of 55, you may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Multi-car Discount - Buying coverage for more than one vehicle with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Anti-theft System - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- No Charge for an Accident - Certain companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don't have any claims for a certain period of time.
- Discount for Good Grades - This discount can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
It's important to note that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you're out of luck.
To choose companies offering car insurance discounts in Ohio, click here to view.
Are you falling for claims of savings?
Car insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm constantly bombard you with ads on television and other media. They all seem to make an identical promise that you can save if you switch your coverage to them. How does each company make the same claim? This is how they do it.
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that makes them money. An example of a desirable insured could be over the age of 40, has no driving citations, and chooses high deductibles. A customer who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and as a result will probably save when switching.
Potential insureds who are not a match for these standards will have to pay more money and ends up with business going elsewhere. The ad wording is "drivers who switch" not "everybody who quotes" save that much money. That's the way insurance companies can state the savings. Because of the profiling, you should compare as many rates as you can. Because you never know which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Additional detailed information is available at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, report car insurance fraud, and read consumer alerts.
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
When buying insurance coverage, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price.
Lower-priced car insurance can be found from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Dresden, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies don't offer online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
We just showed you many tips how you can save on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Drivers may discover the lowest premiums are with a lesser-known regional company.