Free Guide to Saving Money on Continental Auto Insurance Online
Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy high-priced auto insurance? Believe me when I say many Continental consumers feel financially strained by their auto insurance policy. Drivers have so many to pick from, and although it's nice to have a selection, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare rates.
Save big with these discounts
Car insurance companies don't always publicize every discount very clearly, so the following is a list of both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If you're not getting every credit possible, you're paying more than you need to.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you could save up to 5%.
- Memberships - Being a member of a qualifying organization may earn a discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Multiple Cars - Insuring all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Life Insurance Discount - Some companies give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Paperwork-free - A few companies may give you up to $50 just for signing your application over the internet.
It's important to note that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, you're out of luck.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Ohio, click here.
Compare Quotes for Continental Auto Insurance
Finding cheaper auto insurance prices isn't really that difficult. You just have to take a few minutes comparing price quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The best way to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This type of form saves time by eliminating repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. Filling out one form gets you price quotes direct from many companies.
- A slightly less efficient method to get quotes online requires a trip to the website of each company to complete a price quote. For examples sake, let's say you want to compare rates from , and . To get each rate you have to take the time to go to each site to input your insurance information, and that's why the first method is more popular.
To view a list of companies in Continental, click here.
However you get your quotes, ensure you are comparing identical quote information with each company. If the quotes have mixed coverages it will be very difficult to make an equal comparison in Continental.
How to Lower your Auto Insurance Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the items used by your company to calculate prices.
- Save money with special equipment - Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system can thwart auto theft.
- Liability insurance protects assets - Your policy's liability coverage provides coverage when you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- Do you know your deductibles? - The deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, or theft. The more expense you have to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Lower miles equals lower premium - The higher the mileage driven in a year the higher your rate. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Cars used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Being married is a good thing - Getting married helps lower the price on auto insurance. Having a significant other translates into being more mature it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Discounts for multiple policies - Some insurance companies provide better rates to insureds who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it's in your best interest to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money. Drivers may still find a better deal by splitting coverages up.
Auto insurance ads bend the truth
Consumers in Ohio can't get away from ads that promise big savings from the likes of State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. They all have a common claim that you can save if you change your coverage to them.
How does each company claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that is profitable for them. A good example of a driver they prefer might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no driving citations, and has a short commute. A customer getting a price quote that hits that "sweet spot" will get the preferred rates and most likely will save when switching.
Potential insureds who fall outside these standards will be quoted more money and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads state "drivers who switch" not "people who quote" save that much money. That's the way insurance companies can make the claims of big savings. This emphasizes why drivers must compare as many rates as you can. It's impossible to know which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
Best coverage at the best price
Lower-priced auto insurance can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Continental, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers don't offer the ability to get a quote online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don't reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Learn more about Ohio auto insurance
Additional detailed information can be read at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to view a list of available companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, report car insurance fraud, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.