Top Ways to Save on Chesapeake Auto Insurance
Expensive auto insurance can take a big chunk out of your bank account and force you to make sacrifices. Shopping your coverage around is a smart way to make sure you're not throwing money away. You have multiple to buy insurance from, and even though it's nice to have a selection, having more makes it harder to compare rates.
It's important to do rate comparisons on a regular basis since insurance rates are constantly changing. If you had the best deal two years ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So ignore everything you know about auto insurance because it's time to teach you the only way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
How much can you save with discounts?
Car insurance companies don't always advertise all their discounts very clearly, so here is a list some of the best known and the more hidden auto insurance savings. If you're not getting every credit you deserve, you're paying more than you need to.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Some companies give a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Own a Home - Owning a house in Chesapeake may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
- Senior Discount - Mature drivers can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Military Rewards - Having a deployed family member can result in better rates.
It's important to note that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like it's possible to get free car insurance, you're out of luck.
To see a list of companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Ohio, follow this link.
How to Lower Your Auto Insurance Cost in Chesapeake, Ohio
Shopping for lower auto insurance rates can take hours if you aren't aware of the most efficient way to do it. You can waste a lot of time driving to insurance agencies in Chesapeake, or you can utilize the web to quickly compare rates.
Many insurance companies take part in a program that allows shoppers to only type in their quote data once, and at least one company then returns a price quote. This eliminates the need for repetitive form submissions for each company you want a rate for.
To submit your quote information now, click to open in new window.
The only drawback to getting quotes like this is buyers cannot specifically choose which carriers you want to price. So if you want to choose specific providers to request quotes from, we have assembled a list of low cost auto insurance companies in Ohio. View list of Ohio insurance companies.
Which method you use is up to you, but ensure you are comparing identical deductibles and coverage limits for each comparison quote. If you are comparing different values for each quote it will be impossible to determine the lowest rate in Chesapeake.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Chesapeake
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. Knowing what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
- The more you drive the more you pay - The more you drive in a year's time the more you will pay for auto insurance. Most companies price each vehicle's coverage based on their usage. Vehicles left parked in the garage can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your auto insurance policy shows the correct driver usage, because it can save money.
- Marriage brings a discount - Being married actually saves money when buying auto insurance. It is viewed as being more mature and it's statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Optional equipment can affect rates - Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft devices such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Sex matters - Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. However, don't assume that women are better drivers. Women and men have accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Your credit rating is important - Credit rating is a large factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have poor credit. If your credit can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- High deductibles save money - Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, or theft. Your deductibles are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more money you're willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Ohio drivers can't get away from ads for car insurance savings by companies like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all seem to say the same thing that you can save if you move to them.
How does each company say the same thing?
All companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that is profitable for them. An example of a desirable insured might be profiled as between the ages of 40 and 55, insures multiple vehicles, and chooses high deductibles. A propective insured who fits that profile gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Consumers who don't meet these standards will have to pay higher prices which usually ends up with business not being written. Company advertisements say "people who switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save money. This is how insurance companies can state the savings. Because of the profiling, drivers must compare as many rates as you can. It's not possible to predict which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
In the end, you save
When buying insurance coverage, it's very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate.
Lower-priced auto insurance is possible on the web and with local Chesapeake insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
Additional detailed information is available at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio drivers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, get help finding coverage, view a list of available companies, and learn about insurance regulations.