Consumer Tested Strategies to Save on Cambridge Car Insurance
Paying for high-priced car insurance can empty your savings account and force you to make sacrifices. Comparison shopping is free, only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket.
Drivers have multiple to buy insurance from, and even though it's nice to have a selection, it can be more challenging to compare rates.
How much can you save with discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don't always advertise all available discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find both the well known and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Low mileage vehicles can earn discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Paperless Signup - Certain companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy over the internet.
- Student in College - Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and don't have a car can receive lower rates.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- Safety Course Discount - Completing a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Own a Home - Owning a home in Cambridge can help you save on car insurance because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won't be that lucky.
To see a list of insurers with discount car insurance rates in Ohio, click here to view.
Which Car Insurance is Cheapest in Cambridge, Ohio?
There are several ways to compare car insurance quotes, and some are easier and takes less work. You can waste a lot of time talking to insurance agencies in Cambridge, or you can utilize online quoting to achieve your goal.
Many insurance companies enroll in a system that allows shoppers to only type in their quote data once, and each company provides a quote based on the submitted data. This saves time by eliminating quote forms for each company you want a rate for.
To submit your quote information now, click to open in new window.
The one downside to comparing rates this way is you are unable to specify which carriers to get pricing from. So if you want to choose specific providers to compare rates, we put together a list of low cost car insurance companies in Ohio. Click here to view list.
It's up to you which method you use, but ensure you are comparing identical coverage limits on every quote you get. If each company quotes differing limits it will be next to impossible to determine which rate is truly the best in Cambridge. Quoting even small variations in coverages may cause a big price difference. Just remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps locate better pricing.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that could result in lower car insurance prices.
Shown below are a few of the "ingredients" car insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Extra coverages can waste money - There are quite a few add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying when buying car insurance. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and term life insurance may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment at first, but if they're wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- Pay less if you're married - Having a spouse helps lower the price on your policy. Having a spouse means you're more responsible and it's statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Mature drivers pay less - Youthful drivers in Ohio have a tendency to get distracted easily when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates. If you've ever had to add a youthful driver to your car insurance policy can break the bank. More mature drivers are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- Special features that cut premiums - Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft prevention devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all aid in stopping car theft.
- Men are more aggressive - Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn't mean men are worse drivers. Women and men have accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save - Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
21st Century, Allstate and State Farm consistently run television and radio advertisements. All the companies make an identical promise about savings if you change to their company. How does each company claim to save you money?
All companies have a preferred profile for the driver that is profitable for them. For example, a profitable customer might be a mature driver, insures multiple vehicles, and has a short commute. Any driver who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential customers who don't meet these standards must pay a higher premium and ends up with the customer not buying. The ad wording is "people who switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save that much. This is how companies can truthfully make the claims of big savings. This illustrates why drivers must get quotes from several different companies. You cannot predict which insurance companies will fit your personal profile best.
Affordable insurance is out there
Cheaper car insurance is attainable both online and also from your neighborhood Cambridge agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
For more Ohio car insurance information
Even more information can be found at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to discover disciplinary actions, get help finding coverage, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and view a list of available companies.