Easy Ways to Spend Less on Bellefontaine Auto Insurance
If you are a novice to online auto insurance shopping, you can be overwhelmed by the large number of auto insurance companies competing for business in Bellefontaine.
Choosing the best insurance company for you in Bellefontaine is quite easy. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to cut costs considerably using these techniques. Ohio drivers only need an understanding of the most efficient way to find the lowest price online.
Understand what determines the rate you pay
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces that factor into prices.
- Claim-free discounts can add up - Companies in Ohio give lower rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
- More performance means more cost - The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in your rates. The lowest base rates are for economy passenger models, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Traffic violations increase rates - Even one citation may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records get better rates than bad drivers. If you have serious violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Discounts for married couples - Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your auto insurance policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature and responsible and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
Auto Insurance Comparison Rates in Bellefontaine, OH
There are multiple methods to shop for auto insurance, but one way is less time-consuming than others. You can spend your afternoon discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in Bellefontaine, or you could use online quotes to achieve your goal.
Most of the larger companies participate in a marketplace that enables customers to submit their information once, and every company returns a competitive quote for coverage. This system prevents you from having to do quotation requests to each individual auto insurance company. To submit your quote information now, click here to open in new window.
One minor caviat to using this type of form is you can't choose which providers to get quotes from. So if you prefer to choose from a list of companies to compare prices, we have a listing of companies who write auto insurance in Ohio. Click here for list of insurance companies in Ohio.
It's up to you how you get prices quotes, just be sure to compare identical coverages and limits with each company. If you use different deductibles then you won't be able to make an equal comparison in Bellefontaine.
Don't pay full price with these discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don't necessarily list every discount very clearly, so we researched both well-publicized and also the lesser-known ways to save on auto insurance. If you're not getting every credit you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with a few auto insurance companies.
- Early Signing - Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Good Student - This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Paperwork-free - A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing over the internet.
- Military Discounts - Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
- Homeowners Savings - Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Organization Discounts - Participating in a qualifying organization could trigger savings when shopping for auto insurance.
It's important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So when the math indicates adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
To choose insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in Ohio, click this link.
The auto insurance bait and switch
Ohio consumers can't ignore all the ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. They all make the same claim of big savings if you switch your policy.
How does each company make almost identical claims? It's all in the numbers.
Insurance companies have a certain "appetite" for the right customer that makes them money. For instance, a driver they prefer could possibly be between the ages of 30 and 50, a clean driving record, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A driver who matches those parameters is entitled to the best price and therefore will save when switching.
Potential insureds who don't measure up to these standards will be quoted more money which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say "customers who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do. This emphasizes why you need to get as many quotes as possible. It is impossible to predict which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Your personal situation dictates your coverage
When buying the best auto insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a one size fits all plan. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether or not you might need an agent's assistance.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Ohio?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
More tips and info about auto insurance is located at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio consumers can download brochures, learn about specific coverages, and file complaints about a company.
In the end, you save
Insureds switch companies for a variety of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, high prices, poor customer service or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is easier than you think.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to compare auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Low-cost auto insurance is available online in addition to many Bellefontaine insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some auto insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.