Top Ways to Save on Alliance Auto Insurance
Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an underperforming, overpriced auto insurance policy? Trust us, many Alliance consumers feel financially strained by their auto insurance policy. Because you have many different company options, it's nearly impossible to find the most affordable insurance company.
It's important to compare rates at least once a year because insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the lowest price last year you can probably find a better price now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you're about to learn the tricks you need to know to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
You have some control over your rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels enables informed choices that may reward you with big savings.
The following are a partial list of the pieces auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Discounts for married couples - Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. It means you're more responsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? - There are a ton of extra coverages that you can buy on your auto insurance policy. Things like vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and term life insurance may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if they're wasting money remove them from your policy.
- Where you live can impact rates - Choosing to live in less populated areas can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Drivers in populated areas regularly have much more traffic and longer commute times. Lower population translates into fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Bundling policies can get discounts - Many auto insurance companies will give a discount to customers who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you're getting this discount it's in your best interest to comparison shop to ensure the best deal. You may still find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
- Safer cars cost less to insure - Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Do men or women drive better? - Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. They both have accidents in similar numbers, but the males have costlier accidents. They also have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Lower rates with optional equipment - Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
Policy discounts you shouldn't miss
Companies offering auto insurance don't always list all their discounts very well, so we researched both well-publicized and the harder-to-find ways to save on auto insurance. If you don't get every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Sign Online - A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy online.
- Driver Safety - Taking part in a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Bundle and Save - If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Theft Prevention System - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Drive Less and Save - Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Save over 55 - If you're over the age of 55, you may be able to get better auto insurance rates.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won't be that lucky.
To choose companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Ohio, click this link.
Save $429 a year? Really?
Ohio consumers can't ignore all the ads that promise big savings by State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. They all seem to make the same claim about savings after switching to their company.
But how can every company make almost identical claims? This is how they do it.
All the different companies are able to cherry pick for the driver that makes them money. For instance, a desirable insured could possibly be over the age of 40, has no tickets, and has great credit. A driver who matches those parameters is entitled to the best price and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Drivers who don't qualify for this ideal profile will have to pay a higher premium which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say "drivers who switch" but not "drivers who get quotes" save that much. That's the way companies can truthfully advertise the savings. Because of the profiling, you should get as many quotes as possible. It is impossible to predict which auto insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Find out more about auto insurance
Even more information is located at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio consumers can get help finding coverage, discover disciplinary actions, view agent and company licensing information, and read consumer alerts.
Best coverage at the best price
Cheaper auto insurance can be purchased online and also from your neighborhood Alliance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide online price quotes and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price.