Tightwads Instructions on Saving on Akron Auto Insurance
Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an overpriced auto insurance policy? Believe me, there are many Akron consumers feeling the pinch from expensive auto insurance. Lots of contend to insure your vehicles, so it can be very hard to choose a to get the lowest rate
It's important to price shop coverage every six months because prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest price on your last policy a different company probably has better rates today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the proper way to find better coverage at a better price.
More discounts equal less premium
Companies don't list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both well-publicized and the more hidden auto insurance savings. If they aren't giving you every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Save over 55 - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Homeowners Discount - Owning a house in Akron may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Air Bag Discount - Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings up to 30%.
- Drive Less and Save - Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Clubs and Organizations - Participating in certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break on auto insurance.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces that factor into rates.
- Older drivers pay less - Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel. Teen drivers are statistically proven to be less responsible when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Do you know your deductibles? - Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be colliding with a building, damage from fire, and burglary. Your deductibles are how much you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates - Your driving citation history impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Just one citation may increase your cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than bad drivers. Drivers who have serious citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure - Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? - Liability insurance provides coverage if ever a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Your car's features help determine rates - Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart your car from being stolen.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Ohio consumers get pounded daily by advertisements that promise big savings from companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to say the same thing that you can save if you switch your policy.
How do they all make almost identical claims?
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the right customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a desirable insured could possibly be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no driving citations, and has great credit. A customer getting a price quote who fits that profile will get very good rates and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Potential customers who do not match the "perfect" profile will have to pay higher prices which usually ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say "people who switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that kind of money. That's the way insurance companies can advertise the savings. Because of the profiling, drivers should compare many company's rates. It's impossible to know which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
Learn more about Ohio auto insurance
Additional detailed information is located at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Ohio consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, report car insurance fraud, file complaints about a company, and find disaster information.
A tidy conclusion
When you buy insurance online, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to discover later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate.
Affordable auto insurance is available online in addition to many Akron insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
You just read many ways to reduce auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better chance you'll have of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from an unexpected company. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as .