How to Know You're Paying Too Much for Car Insurance in Lake Elsinore
I can't think of anyone who likes having to buy car insurance, particularly when their premiums are through the roof.
Consumers have many to pick from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, it can be more difficult to compare rates.
It's important to compare rates periodically due to the fact that insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest rates last year you can probably find a lower rate today. Starting right now, forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because I'm going to teach you the tricks you need to know to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Finding the cheapest coverage in Lake Elsinore is not that difficult. Basically, everyone who is required by state law to have car insurance will most likely be able to cut their insurance bill. But California consumers do need to know how big insurance companies sell insurance online and use this information to your advantage.
How to Get Lake Elsinore Car Insurance Comparison Quotes
There are several ways of comparing rates from different Lake Elsinore insurance companies. The best method to compare insurance prices is simply to get online rate quotes. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The recommended way to find the lowest comparison rates is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This method saves time by eliminating separate quotation requests for each company you want a rate for. Just one form will return quotes from car insurance companies with the best prices.
- A slightly less efficient method to compare rate quotes is to take the time to go to each company website to complete a price quote. For instance, we'll pretend you want to compare , and . To get each rate you have to go to every website and enter your information, and that's why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Lake Elsinore, click here.
- The least efficient method to compare rates is to spend time driving to insurance agents' offices. Buying insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you have a need for the personal advice that only a license agent can provide. You can, however, get the lowest quotes online and still use a local agent and you'll learn how to do that later.
Which method you use is up to you, but be sure to compare identical coverages and limits for every company. If you are comparing different deductibles you will not be able to decipher which rate is best in Lake Elsinore. Just a small difference in insurance coverages may result in a large different in cost. Keep in mind that getting more free quotes helps you find a lower rate.
Take advantage of discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there could be available discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for in order for you to get them.
- Early Signing - Select companies give a discount for buying a policy before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Good Student - A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Resident Student - Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Memberships - Being a member of a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Payment Discounts - If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- Save with a New Car - Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Use Seat Belts - Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Senior Citizens - Mature drivers may qualify for better car insurance rates.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way. But all discounts will bring down your overall premium however.
To see a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in California, follow this link.
How to know if you need help
When choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a perfect coverage plan. Every insured's situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Should I buy only the required California minimum liability coverage?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Additional California consumer information
Much more information about car insurance in California can be found on the website for the California Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Visitors are able to learn about specific coverages, file complaints about a company, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.